Attending Local College Events

Recently, I have had the privilege of attending several college events to support and represent our college and its students, alumni faculty, staff, and administration.

Zachary Storey and Wade Kilbarger in Spring Awakening (Photographer: Ken Kinder)

First, I had the pleasure of seeing Spring Awakening, a fantastic Saddleback student performance at the Studio Theatre. The cast was extremely talented and the show sold out all nine performances! Congratulations to Director Daniel R. Trevino and everyone involved in the production.

I also attended the Pepperdine University Graduate School of Education and Psychology’s 40th Anniversary celebration with recent graduate Dr. Estella Castillo-Garrison, director of community education, and Mike Engels, counselor, who is considering starting the program. The event featured 40 donors and was entitled, “Why I Give.” Many of our Saddleback alumni transfer to Pepperdine and it was an honor to support the university and their students.

Finally, Dr. Donna Rane-Szostak, our dean of health sciences and human services, and I met with Dr. Janeen Hill, the interim dean of Schmid College of Science and Technology at Chapman University, to discuss how we can collaborate on developing Chapman’s health sciences programs. Chapman is particularly interested in the proposed simulation hospital that would be housed at ATEP. Following the meeting, I was honored to be Dr. Hill’s guest at the opening night of Chapman’s College of Performing Arts’ American Celebration. It was a productive meeting and an impressive performance by Chapman students.

Meeting with colleagues at local colleges and universities is one of the best ways to initiate collaborations, which often translates into improved student success. I look forward to more of these meetings with local schools, businesses, and community members.