Saddleback College Recognizes Professors of the Year

Saddleback College named Dr. Karah Street, a full-time biology instructor, Dr. Bob Matthews, a part-time psychology instructor, and Dr. Gerald Binder, an instructor in the Emeritus Institute, as the 2015 Professors of the Year. The professors were nominated by their students and will be recognized on Monday, April 27th at the South Orange County Community College District Board of Trustees meeting.

Dr. Tod A. Burnett, president of Saddleback College, stated, “Professors Street, Matthews, and Binder have made a huge impact on their students – not only in the classroom, but in their professional pursuits as well. I congratulate and thank these terrific instructors for their commitment to Saddleback College and the success of our students.”

The Professor of the Year is Dr. Karah Street, who began teaching at Saddleback College in 2003 as a part-time instructor before becoming full-time in 2005. Since then she has left a lasting impact on her students, who say that she is an integral part of their educational journey.

Dr. Street stated, “I want to extend my most heartfelt gratitude toward my past students for nominating me as Professor of the Year at Saddleback. It is an honor to be given this award and I will represent you with pride.”

The Associate Professor of the Year is Dr. Bob Matthews, who began teaching psychology at Saddleback College in 1999. Dr. Matthews has taught psychology and criminal justice for 28 years, and when he’s not in the classroom, he works as a psychologist with the State of California Department of Medical and Psychological Rehabilitation.

Dr. Matthews stated, “This is by far the highest award one can receive academically because it is earned and not given. To me, this is a pinnacle of success academically.”

The Emeritus Institute’s Professor of the Year is Dr. Gerald Binder, who has been teaching across the southland since 1965. He brought his experience in the field of humanities to the Emeritus Institute in 2008. As stated by one of his students, “Dr. Binder’s dedication and enthusiasm are exemplary. Year after year he brings new insights into his classes, and his love of his subject and respect for his students shines.”

Dr. Binder stated, “I have taught in many venues in the past fifty years. And today I want to reveal a secret about myself. All these years, my adult students have believed that I’m the teacher, but, in actuality it’s my students who have been teaching me virtually everything about life for half a century! They have taught me what can’t be learned from books thank them for the wisdom they have bestowed upon me. I hope they will agree that I have been their attentive student. They have made this award possible.”